Seaside (Litoral) - Folklore, Culture, Architecture:
THE DOBRUJAN CUISINE
The Romanian seaside invites you to spend your summer holidays here with the warm weather,
fine beaches, the sea, the sun, the cooling breeze and miraculous cures in the spas. If you choose our
seaside for your holiday destination, you should not miss the unique experience offered by the traditional
Dobruja offers unforgettable specialties. Pork, mutton and chicken are used for preparing light
foods with rice, vegetables and pasta side dishes. The restaurants offer the delicious "Dobrujan salad",
made of season vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, hot peppers and onion, with boiled eggs, grated cheese and
chopped parsley. In Dobruja we also have two other specialties: eggplant salad and the delicious Dobrujan
As for fish dishes, the specialties are: fresh water fish or sturgeon soup; marinated fish;
pickled carp, stuffed carp (with wels, pike, rice, parsley, dill, salt, pepper) roasted in the oven;
grilled wels; seafood cocktail, oysters, shark, caviar.
Fine wines must accompany all these fine dishes. The Romanian seaside is oriented eastwards,
so it offers a favourable environment to vine culture. Dobruja is famous for its vast vineyard (more than
25000ha and wine-producing centers from Murfatlar, Medgidia, Ovidiu, Niculitel, Istria-Babadag, Ostrov.
Only 24km from Constanta is the famous vineyard of Murfatlar, where white and black wines can be
tasted; most of them are sweet and fruity. The Murfatlar wine is served both with main dishes and desert.
You can choose among the following wines: Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Muscat Otonel, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon,
Pinot Noir, Ovid's Teardrop, Merlot.
Seaside (Litoral) - Entertainment:
TOURIST AND HISTORICAL SIGHTS
The museums in Constanta are representative for local culture and history.
- The History and Archeology Museum offers the historical image of Romania and Dobruja since the
Paleolithic era up to nowadays. The most important vestiges are: the Glykon Serpent (2nd century A.D),
The Thinker and His Wife (Hamangia culture), The Goddess of Luck, Pontos God (2nd-3rd century A.D.) etc.
The Pontica Symposium is held here annually.
- The Roman Edifice of Mosaic (4th-5th century A.D) is 700 cubic meters large; it is a part of the original
mosaic which in Roman time, covered the 2000 cubic meters of imperial hallway. The Upstairs terrace includes
a very large hall that still preserves part of its original main wall, some of the side walls and the floor
made of multicoloured mosaic.
- St. Peter and Paul Orthodox Cathedral ( 1885 ), a remarkable religious monument through its grace and
- The Great Mosque, built in 1910 in the Egyptian-Byzantine style, with a 50m tall minaret. It shelters
the carpet brought from Ada-Kaleh as donation form sultan Abdulah Hamil.
- The Naval History Museum contains miniature ships and ancient maps. The local crafts focus on wood
processing and fabric.
- The Art Museum;
- Popular Art Museum;
- The Hunchiar Mosque;
- "Ion Jalea" Museum;
- Roman Baths
- Ancient District
- Genovese Lighthouse
- The wall of the ancient Tomis Castle;
- Natural Sciences Center;
- Ovid Theatre;
- "Oleg Danovsky" Ballet Theatre.
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN THE AREA
- Monastery and Cave "St. Andrew The Apostle ", 82km South-West of Constanta. This is the place where St.
Apostle Andrew brought Christianity on Romanian ground for the first time. Theological and historical
sources state the Apostle came to Dobruja at the beginning of the year 60 A.D. and rested with his disciples
in this cave that lied in the middle of a forest near the town Ion Corvin.
- Dervent Monastery is in the village of Galita, the Ostrov commune, 96km from Constanta. It was here that
his 4 disciples met a tragic death. After they died, four crosses mysteriously appeared on their graves,
of which only two of them exist today.
- Cocosu Monastery, 7km from Niculitel, is the oldest monastery in Dobruja. The painting, dated 1916, is
the work of the Italian painter Francisco de Biasse. Since 1971, the monastery also provides shelter for
the remains of the Christian martyrs of Niculitel: Zotic, Attal, Camasis and Filip.
- Histria, the first Greek colony from the Pontus Euxinus, is the oldest settlement in the
country. The Greeks in Miletus established it in the 7th century B.C.; the colony expanded and reached
prosperity during Roman time. It presents vestiges of the ancient castle: the defense wall, spas, paved
streets, houses and workshops, basilicas and shops from the 4th - 7th centuries B.C.;
- The Triumph Tropeum Traiani Monument from Adamclisi, 62km from Constanta, was built by
an order of Emperor Traian, in order to commemorate his victory over the Dacians, after the Adamclisi battle.
This is the most important monument built in the Roman provinces. Fragments of the original monument can be
admired at the Tropeum Traiani Museum.
- Roman castles: Capidava, Arrubium, Oviodunum, Aegyssus;
- Getic castles: Albesti;
- Neolithic sites: Axiopolis, Limanu.
PLACES TO SPEND YOUR LEISURE TIME
The Romanian seaside (245km) invites you to spend your holidays here, where you can visit: the
Delta, its arms and the north lagoons (163km), the beaches, gulfs and capes.
The low saline level of the sea (16g/l) favours the practice of water sports in optimum
conditions; the low sea level at the shore (1-1,5m) and the absence of any dangerous marine animal allows
bathing and ensures security during hot summer days.
If you love sport, you can choose from water ski, surf, ski-jet, water-bicycle, boat rides,
fishing, tennis, beach volleyball, bowling, mini-golf. The night life offers a variety of places where to
dance and party with your friends.
Constanta is one of the oldest cities in Romania, but the most important from the Black Sea Coast.
MAMAIA, the closest resort to the sea lies between a magnificent 7km-long beach,
with fine sand, and Lake Siutghiol. The cruises on this lake are special, as they offer you the chance to
visit Ovid's Island, the place of exile for the great Latin poet.
- A tour of the seaside or of the Danube Delta by helicopter, or live the underwater experience in Jupiter,
Olimp and Mangalia - which offer the possibility of becoming familiar to the wilding living in the Black
Sea or fly by glider in Jupiter and Costinesti
- the Delphinarium, the Aquarium and the Planetarium from Constanta
- The Horseback Riding Center from Mangalia.
For over a century, the spas of the Romanian seaside have offered numerous treatments in a
special, relaxing environment. The sapropelic mud of Techirghiol Lake, the sea water whose salinity is
favourable to the human body (16g/l) and whose temperature is of 21-23 degrees C in the summer, the
mesothermal sulfurous waters, the marine bio-climate which is very rich in aerosols and the sun are the
trumps of the recommended treatments.
Besides the treatments mentioned above, highly recommended are the Romanian traditional ones:
Gerovital, Aslavital, Pell-Amar and Alflutop. The therapy the specialists use improves the status of the
aged body and revitalizes it. You may follow any of these treatments in resorts like: Eforie Nord, Eforie
Sud, Neptun, Mangalia and Techirghiol.
The therapeutic indications are: disorders of the locomotor system, degenerative rheumatism,
either chronic or inflammatory during its period of inactivity; post-traumatic shock; central and peripheral
neurological disorders; disorders of the respiratory system; dermatological disorders; disorders and
irregularities of the peripheral circulation; gynecological disorders; endocrine and metabolic disorders;
chronic bronchitis; rhynitis and sinusitis.
- the Navy Day - August 15th, in Constanta and Mangalia;
- the Sea Days - August 13th-15th, in Constanta, Neptun, Costinesti and Mangalia;
- the Callatis Festival- July-August, in Mangalia;
- the Jazz Festival - July-August, in Costinesti;
- the Young Actor Gala - July-August, in Costinesti;
- the Film Festival for Young Movie Producers - July-August, in Costinesti;
- the Mamaia Music Festival - August, in Mamaia;
- the International Opera and Ballet Festival - September - November, in Constanta;
- the National Festival of Cabaret Theatres - November, Constanta;
- the Tomis Yacht - August, in Constanta; Showroom of leisure, sport and fishing boats
- Auto-Show - July, in Mamaia; car show;