Bed & Breakfast Pensions in Mehedinţi - Caraş-Severin:
Steaua Dunarii Pension
Mehedinţi - Caraş-Severin - Natural Environment:
The county of Caras-Severin is situated in the southwestern part of Romania, neighboring Serbia
and Montenegro to the southwest, the Mehedinti County to the southeast, the Gorj County to the east, the
Hunedoara County to the northeast and the Timis County to the northwest.
The type of relief that you can see in "Portile de Fier" Natural Park appears as a reflection of
the geologic and lythologic past. This is the most important element of tourist potential in the area.
Geographically, Cara] - Severin is a mountainous county (65, 4% of its entire surface), but also has large
depression areas. The most important range of mountains is Banat Mountains, which comprise the Tarcul Mountains,
Cerna, Muntele Mic (Small Mount), the Semenic, Anina and Dognecei (to the west), the Locvei and Almaj to the south.
Their lithologic structure divides them into two separate sectors: the crystalline range that contains granite
intrusions to the west and the sedimentary, limestone range to the east. To the south of the Locvei Mountains is
the depression of Moldova Veche.
- Cheile Nerei - Beusnita Reservation
- Cheile Cara]ului Reservation
- Valea Mare Reservation
- Lunca Poganisului Reservation
- Cerna - Domogled National Park
THE VEGETATION OF THE PORŢILE DE FIER NATURAL PARK
Vegetation, a result of the interaction between a series of factors characteristic to the Portile de
Fier (Iron Gates) area, makes this territory a very original and interesting one, with exotic species that
originate in the Mediterranean climate.
Vegetation consists of forests, bushes, meadows; it is layered and conditioned by the
particularities of each area. The forest is dominant; the area of Almajului Mountains has a natural
percentage of 85 and inside the Park of approximately 70.
The layer of the beech is between 500- 1000 m with species such as: Fagus taurica, Fagus moesica
(Balkan Beech), Fagus -orientalis. Between 500 and 650m you will find the beech and the oak, where species
like Quercus petraea (oak), Fagus moesica (Balkan Beech) and Fagus orientalis (oriental beech) are dominant.
The oak layer (Quercus sessilis), together with other species like Quercus petraea, Quemus dalecham,
forms the main vegetation of the gore area. It is situated between 200 and 500 m of altitude and spreads over small
slopes, with dark soil, either individually or together with other species of oak and beech.
The layer of thermophile forests is 300 m lower, on sunny and semi-sunny morphological areas; they
make the most representative vegetation of Portile de Fier area, consisting mostly of oak species.
The Banat black spruce fir (Pinus nigra ssp. banatica) is endemic for this area. The area of this element was in
the Almajului Mountains, Mehedinti Plateau, Mehedinti Mountains, Cerna Cannal and the west of Valcan Mountains.
Nowadays it spreads in the isolated areas along Cerna Cannal, Danube's Gorge and the Runcu-Sohodol area.
Between Bazias and Gura Vaii there is a distinct geomorphologic unit, the Danube's Gorge, with a total
length of 134 km, righteously considered as the most spectacular European gorge. The Danube's Gorge has wide and
narrow basins, different due to the geologic layers and the complex lithology of the major landscape forms through
which the river crosses.
Mehedinţi - Caraş-Severin - Brief History:
DROBETA TURNU SEVERIN HISTORY
Drobeta Turnu Severin is our country's most beautiful town harbour, as it lies on the highest of
Danube's terraces, displayed harmoniously as an old amphitheatre.
Drobeta (Drubeta in Getic, drub=split, as the Danube simply splits in two in front of the Simian
Island), was a one of the discoveries that the Roman legions made during the Empire's expansion, a phenomenon
somewhat similar to the nowadays globalization system, only those who wouldn't join them, were to be forced
The Dacians were finally defeated by Emperor Traian, (102) after three difficult wars.
Drobeta was the country's first Roman stone stronghold (103-105), initially designed for the shelter of 500
soldiers, encharged of securing the bridge.
Nowadays, you can still see the ancient foundations (rebuilt by Constantin cel Mare), with its side gates, rooms,
weapons deposits, streets and in the centre of the site was the building of the commander(pretor), where Traian
himself came to rest in the winter of 105. West from the stronghold, on the bank of the Danube, you can see the
ruins of the Roman baths.
Drobeta had shortly become a civilized and key settlement, both on land and water, inside and outside
the country. It was the first urban centre in Roman Oltenia and the third in all Dacia, after Sarmisegetuza and
Apullum. In the time of Hadrian (117-138), the settlement was declared a municipium (121), its population growing
to 14000 inhabitants and in the time of Septimiu Sever (193-211), it was declared a colonia, which meant its
inhabitants enjoyed the same privilledges as those of Rome. The last Roman emperor - Justinian (527-565) built
one more tower in Drobeta, thus ending the ancient history of the stronghold.
Mehedinţi - Caraş-Severin - Integrate in Harmony:
- The beauty of the landscape, the numerous panoramic view points, passes, falls, steep and rocky mountain edges,
caves and special areas for practicing winter sports, especially skiing turn the region of Mehedinti-Caras-Severin
into an enchanting holiday destination.
- In the mountainous area there is a variety of resorts: Semenic, Trei Ape, Secu (Semenic Mountain),Poiana
Mărului şi and Muntele Mic (Small Mount).
- Resorts with tourist pensions: Garana, Brebu Nou, Zavoi (Poiana Ursului), Sasca Montana, Teregova, Zona Turnu
- Places with great agrotourism potential: Vermes, Berzovia, Ramna, Ocna de Fier, Dognecea, Ciudanovita,
Ciclova Romana, Carbunari, Berzasca, Schievita, Armenis, Socol, Pojejena, Prigor, Lapusnicel, Bozovici,
Eftimie Murgu, Mehadia.
HUNTING AND FISHING TOURISM
- The Banat Mountains are habitat for a wide selection of hunting resources: deer, wolves, wild cats, wild
ducks. The rivers that run through the Banat Mountains are rich in fish species, gathering the greatest
variety in the country.
For the good practice of hunting tourism, the Forests Department of Caras - Severin built 12
hunting huts (with 113 beds): Poiana Marului, Teregova, Valea Cernei, Clisura Dunarii, Valea Radimna, Cheile
Nerei, Valea Minis, Semenic, Valea Bârzavei, Lacul Secu, Iersig, all endowed with electric power, running
cold and hot water and amenities for serving lunch.
CULTURAL AND RELIGIOUS TOURISM
- Monumental Sculpture Park from Grana is a dynamic cultural location (it gets richer with 5 sculptures at
every edition of the International Sculpture Symposium).
Religious sights in Caransebes
- Bocsa Monastery - Vasiova - Patron: St. Ely
- Calugara Monastery - Patron: "Virgin Mary's Veil"
- Piatra Scrisă Hermitage - Patron: "All Saints Sunday"
- St. Ely Hermitage on Muntele Mic (Small Mountain) - Patron: "St. Ely"
- St. Ely Hermitage on Semenic Mountains - Patron: "St. Ely"
- Slatina Nera Monastery - Patron: "Pious Paraschiva"
- Almaj Monastery - Putna - Patron: "The Transfiguration"
- Brebu Monastery - Patron: "The Assumption of the Holy Virgin"
- Teius Hermitage - Caransebes - Patron: "The Assumption of the Holy Virgin"
- St. Joseph the New Hermitage from Partos- Patron: "St. Joseph the New from Partos"
- Baile Herculane social and religious place - Patron: "The Birth of Virgin Mary" Glimboca social and
religious place - Patron "St. Trinity"
- Poiana Marului Hermitage - Patron: "The Ascension of Christ"
- Ruschita social and religious place - Patron "Feast of the Annunciation"
- "The Entrance of Virgin Mary in the Church: Hermitage - Sichevita
- St. Nectarie Fenes Hermitage - Patron: "St. Nectarie"
INDUSTRIAL AND URBAN TOURISM
- The Museum of the Locomotive and Museum of History of the Banat Mountain region - in Resita.
- "Constantin Gruescu" Mineralogy Museum - in Ocna de Fier
- Health tourism is the main form of tourism in the county due to the value of treatment resources to be
found in the resort of Băile Herculane. The thermal springs (45 - 54) are rich in sulfur and calcium and are
benefic for treating diseases of the peripheral and nervous systems, as well as stomach, respiratory,
gynecological, metabolic, stress disorders and as prophylactic treatments as well.
The international fame of Baile Herculane (Herculean Spas) comes from its therapeutic mineral
waters. There is also the special climate which has benefic influences on one's health.
- It is 60 km long; the Danube "enters" in the city of Bazias. The most picturesque is the Bazias - Turnu
Severin sector, known as the Danube Defile. In Iuti, the most southern point of Banat, the Danube has one
of the most imposing defiles in Europe, with the two "flows".
- The natural scenery of Caras - Severin offers the possibility of sports tourism; the mountain area of the
county with its technical and material basis for tourism offers the possibility of sports competitions.
In winter people can practice "white sports" (Semenic Mountains, Small Mountain, Lake Crivaia, Trei Ape,
Valiug) and in summer there are conditions for practicing nautical sports.
ACTIVE AND ADVENTURE TOURISM
- Caras- Severin plays host for the motocross contest known as ENDUROMANIA, where sportsmen from all over
the world compete in climbing the most difficult paths of Tarcu and Semenic Mountains by motorcycle.
EXTREME TOURISM AND ESCALADE
- Cerna Valley is one of the richest calcareous regions in the country; it has high tourist potential.
The climate, accessible landscape, rich and varied vegetation, caves and steep walls are but few of the
attractive elements for tourists and alpinists from all over the country and abroad.
Mehedinţi - Caraş-Severin - Entertainment:
Itineraries that start off from Baile Herculane (The Herculean Spas):
1. 1. Central Park - Herculane Square - Roman Hotel - Electric Plant - Seven Springs Falls
- Thermal Pool - Ghizelei Cross - Ogasul Cociului. The distance is of 3750m; this itinerary is recommended
for all ages and in all seasons. To return to the resort you may take the bus, or walk alongside the bank
of Cerna River.
2. Central Park - Licuricilor Street- D.N. 67D - Electric Plant. Recommended for all
tourists, young or old; the itinerary is not marked but it is accessible in any season.
3. 3. Central Park - Baia Diana (Diana Spa) - Grota (Haiducilor Cave)
The end of the itinerary is the oldest place in Banat where Paleolithic traces have been found. It is a place
also mentioned in the old writings under the name:"Gaura Talharilor" (Thieves' Hole). The cave is open in
all seasons and it requires no equipment for its exploration.
You can also choose one of the tourist routes starting from Baile Herculane
(The Herculean Spas):
- Baile Herculane - Valea Cernei (Cerna Valley) - Baia de Arama - Ponoarele - Balta- Drobeta Turnu Severin
- Baile Herculane - Orsova ( by bus ) - Moldova Noua (by ship)
- Baile Herculane - Orsova - Cazane - Portile de Fier (by bus or ship)
- Baile Herculane - Caransebes - Sarmisegetuza - Hateg - Deva
- Baile Herculane - Budapesta
- Baile Herculane - Belgrad