Bed & Breakfast Pensions in Mureş:
Mureş - Natural Environment:
The city of Târgu Mureş is situated in the central part of the Transylvanian
plateau, on both sides of the upper course of Mures River, at an altitude of 320 m.
Situated in the centre of Transylvania and Romania, at the crossroad between several national
and European roads (E60 connects Western and Eastern Europe), Târgu Mureş is a centre of traffic
junction, of railways as well as airways tie. Capital city of the Mures County, the city is an important
administrative, economic and cultural centre, with a population of 149.577 inhabitants.
The Mureş County is located in an intracarpathian depression. The relief gradually descends
from the volcanic peaks of Calimani Mountains (2100m) and of Mount Gurghiu, towards the centre of the
Transilvanian Plain (280m). The Mures River crosses the county on a distance of 180km and collects the
water of its tributaries: Târnava Mică, Târnava Mare, Gurghiul şi Nirăjul.
In the western part there are lakes and ponds used for fishing: Tăureni, Saulia,
Fărăgău for fishing and leisure. "Lacul Ursu" (Lake Bear) is situated in Sovata spa resort,
considered to be the most representative heliotermic lake of Europe.
Clima judeţului Mureş este continental - moderată cu diferenţieri
în zona de deal şi pădure, şi în cea de munte.
Pădurea seculară de stejari de pe terenurile mlăştinoase de la Mociar;
Bujorul Românesc din Valea Botei Mari de la Zău de Câmpie;
Poiana de Narcise;
Parcul Dendrologic din Gurghiu;
Muntele de Sare de la Sovata;
Stâncile spectaculoase din defileul Văii Mureşului;
Fauna se mândreşte cu superbe exemplare ale ursului brun,
cerbului carpatin, căprioarei, mistreţului, iepurelui şi fazanului,
iar lacurile şi apele curgătoare abundă în păstrav şi crap.
TÂRGU MUREŞ - Brief History:
The settlement was first mentioned within the Papal Chronicles in the year 1332, under the
name of "Novum Forum Siculorum". The existence of guilds confirms its status as a thriving town. In 1405
the king of Hungary, Sigismund de Luxemburg, approves to the town's priviledge of organizing fairs and in
1482, under the signature of Matei Corvin of Hungary, the town receives a royal status.
Centuries later, in 1616, Gabriel Bethlen declares the settlement a free royal town, changing
its name from Szekelyvasarhely to Marosvasarhely. For an extensive period of time the town was declared
the residence of the Mureş Seat, one of the six German minorities' Seats (an independent form of
administration). During these few centuries many assemblies ('diete') are held in Târgu Mureş and
several Transylvanian princes are either elected or crowned here.
On January 6th 1571, the Târgu Mureş assembly ('Dieta') declares and ratifies
the freedom of the four Christian denominations in Transylvania: Roman-Catholic, Calvinist, Lutheran and
Unitarian. The prince was seeking for a strong development of the latter one. This historical event
signified a European contribution to the emerging movement of religious freedom, which became a pattern
followed throughout the centuries in the Transylvanian region (the Orthodox Church did not hold the same
status as the churches mentioned above.
In 1751, the Supreme Transylvanian Court of Law - 'Tabla Regala' - moved its headquarters in
Târgu-Mureş, an institution where Gyorgy Aranka and Papiu Ilarian rendered their services.
Mureş - Folklore, Culture, Architecture:
In Târgu Mureş there are many churches, some of them built between the 16th and 18th
centuries. They show the diversity of Christian religions characteristic to all Transylvanian towns -
Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Calvinist, Evangelist and others - as well as the Muslim religion.
- The Orthodox Wooden Church, built in 1793 and painted in 1814 is unique amongst the Transylvanian towns,
due to its great age.
- The oldest architectural constructions in the town are of the church and fortress. The medieval fortress
is situated in the proximity of Targu-Mures' center. The fortress complex occupies a surface of nearly
4.3 ha and comprises a fortified hall with seven bulwarks, which form a large interior court yard.
This is the place where you can also find the Reformed Church (Gothic style - 1492) and the 'Manutantei'
- The first fortress, built here in 1492, by the order of Bathori Istvan, the ruler of Transylvania at that
time, was finalized in 1602-1652, under the reign of Boros Tamas. The pentagon shaped citadel is surrounded
by a defense wall, with seven bulwarks, five of which bearing the names of the guilds in the town that,
according to the tradition, have maintained them.
Nowadays, the citadel has become the venue of important cultural actions. This is where the
days of Târgu Mureş are celebrated, with over 80 000 participants every year. Over the year,
among other events, the citadel is host for the "Beer Festival" in the summer, the "Wine and Grape Juice
Festival" in the autumn, the "City of Children" in winter, with Christmas trees and toys.
Mureş - Entertainment:
Of the total of 1846 km of public roads, 18% are national roads, 40% county roads. Airlines
link the town of Targu-Mures to Bucharest, Budapest and Sibiu, the modern airport being situated in Vidrasau,
at 12 km from the county residence, on the European road E60, which links Târgu-Mureş to
Tourism is sustained by a modern and developed infrastructure which comprises a total of
107 accommodation facilities: 18 hotels, 5 inns and motels, 4 camping sites, 18 villas and tourist pensions
and 3 student camps with over 7000 beds.
TOURIST SIGHTS IN THE REGION:
- The major touristy areas in Mures
- The town Sighisoara, with the medieval fortress
- The Mures Gorge with the neighbouring mountain areas and the small resorts situated along its valley
- The Lapusna hunting area
- The well-known Sovata Spa Resort, situated at the foot of the Gurghiu Mountains, which offer various
treatments for a large number of disorders.
- The Sângeorgiu de Mureş local resort, with salty water, mud treatments and Ideciu de Jos with
also salty waters.
- The Corneşti Plateau
Situated at the highest altitude of the town (488 m), the Plateau opens a panoramic view over
the settlement and the Mureş Valley. The main attraction point is the Zoo, divided in 5 sectors:
primates, tropical house, carnivores, herbivores and birds. This Zoo is the second in the country in surface
and variety of species and it is surrounded by a forest of oak and hornbeam, called Padurea Mare. Those
interested in nature and hiking can take several routs from here.